Monday, April 14, 2008

A response to 4-2-9

It was really interesting to see the perspectives of the three main women interviewed in this film. Their frustrations and feelings are all very understandable. However, I do agree with many of my classmates that the film's view might have been too narrow. I am really interested to see what the men might have had to say. I also think a perspective from a non-Korean might have been informative as well, so that we might get a sense of how these people were viewed in the eyes of others. But, I'm actually not familiar with what kind of media coverage Koreatown had gotten during these riots, so perhaps these "voices" were enough for the time being.

I'm also curious to see what the Korean-minority relationships are like in the stores these days. Have they improved much over the past decade, or have they completely gone down the tubes, particularly in the LA area in light of these riots? Maybe it's too corny to ask for complete harmony of all people, but I do believe there needs to be a shift towards a more unified minority position. I was a little disappointed that some of the people in the film believed that the problem was solely between Blacks and Whites, and that Koreans are caught in the middle. Maybe it's too much to expect Koreans to pick a side to sympathize with, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to strive to be a positive force. I think a great place to start doing that is in these small interactions in the convenience stores.

No comments: