Monday, April 28, 2008

weeeeird: JJ Chinois and Terminal USA

Both of these films were really interesting and thought-provoking. However, I feel like whatever message each one was trying to convey was so out there and so complex that I'm afraid it's reserved for a very small group of people (MCM concentrators?). With JJ Chinois, for example, I didn't even know that the imagery used was supposed to be Bruce Lee, or any impersonation of him, until I read the reading by Nguyen. After reading her analysis, I think JJ Chinois made a little more sense as to its purpose, but I still have a hard time grasping it.

Terminal USA was similarly confusing. Given the cheesy "Brady Bunch"-like music in many of the family scenes, it seems to be some sort of satire of the American sitcom family. I found it kind of annoying that not one character could get through one line of dialogue without sounding really weird. But I think what that manages to do is make it very clear that these stereotypes (both the Asian one of the nerd and the traditionally non-Asian one of the drug addict and pregnant teenager) are being performed. So I guess it exposes stereotypes as a performance and disassociates them from their racial associations...or something like that.

No comments: